The grapefruit diet is one of the earliest known Hollywood fad diets. It dates back to the 1930s, and many Hollywood stars of the time swore by it. It remained popular until the mid-1970s, when it became one of the diets that was faxed around from machine to machine, popularly known as xerox lore. The diet is attributed to the Mayo Clinic, which clearly states that it has nothing to do with the diet and that the diet is not good.
Originally the grapefruit diet was an Atkins style diet that added one half grapefruit before each meal. There was no cheating on this diet ? only three meals a day and no in between meals snacks. The diet claimed that people could lose 10 pounds in 10 days, or 5 pounds in five days. It is also commonly claimed that a dieter might not lose any weight on the first four days but then 5 pounds would magically drop off on the fifth day. It was based on the claim that grapefruit contains fat burning enzymes, something that has never been proven.
In 2004 a scientific study determined that it is possible that the grapefruit diet helps people lose weight. Participants in the study lost 3.6 pounds on average in a 12 week span, eating one half grapefruit before each meal. Those who drank the serving of grapefruit juice at each meal lost just slightly less weight in the same period of time. Many of the participants lost more than 10 pounds in 12 weeks. The doctor who conducted the study found that the grapefruit diet seems to reduce levels of insulin. However, all the participants slightly enhanced their exercise programs, which may account for the lost weight.
Here are the rules for the grapefruit diet:
- Eight 8 ounce glasses of water each day, this is a must.
- Eat only until you are full at each meal.
- Eat everything listed for each meal, do not skip foods, they are specifically formulated to help burn fat.
- Grapefruit is a catalyst that starts fat burning. Do not change the amount of grapefruit.
- Drink only up to 1 cup of coffee at meals.
- Never eat between meals.
- Butter can be used.
- Do not eat desserts, breads, white vegetables, or sweet potatoes.
- Eat any amount of meat, salad and vegetables to make you full.
- It’s important to eat into you’re full because the more you eat the more we will lose.
- Follow the diet for 12 days, skip two days, then start again.
- Eat one half grapefruit, or drink 18 ounce glass of grapefruit, with each meal.
Now you can go try the grapefruit diet.
Filed under Weight Loss Help by weightloss